Monday, December 29, 2008

Tyler's First Fever

After a nap at the Christmas party, Tyler started running a fever of 101.7. He was amazingly still his playful self most of the time, but when we got him to bed, he couldn't fall asleep in his crib at all. I nursed and rocked him but even in my arms he woke up every 15 minutes crying. Poor little guy! Let's just say none of us got much zzz's that night as Ker and I took 2 hr shifts holding and rocking him back to sleep each time he woke up. We gave him baby Tylenol every 4 hours and finally at 5am, after some 12 hours of feeling hot and uncomfortable, his fever finally went down.

Since he didn't have a cough or runny nose or any other symptoms, we thought, okay, it was just a fluke one-day fever thing. Apparently, it was just intermission. At breakfast, he ate his oatmeal with apples as usual. As he opened his mouth for the last spoonful, out gushed the contents of his last few meals, projectile-style onto his high chair tray. The next few surprises came every hour or two in the form of wet green diapers. Sniffles and a phleghmy cough followed. Being rookies at taking care of a sick infant, Ker and I were worried and exhausted and hated not being able to do more to relieve him of his misery. According to the doc, Tyler caught the stomach virus that's been going around. He is still coughing like an old man and hates having his nose aspirated, but at least his appetite and good mood are back!

I feel yucky =( It's hard to breathe...

Not my normal cheery self

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Tyler, hope you get better soon!

Lou Yim said...

oh dear... i hope tyler will be better for the new year!!!
Yeah.. there is a stomach bug over here in melbourne too... usu when it's cold and when it's hot.... it's summer now! Weather has been unpredictable.. very cold and very hot. Lots of oldies and infants getting sick...esp after parties... be careful you all...
take good care,
lots of love,
louisa

Anonymous said...

Awww, sorry to hear that you had a fever...I hope you're all better now! I caught a cold during Christmas break. I'm still coughing a little and my nose is still runny...man, I really hate that aspirator thing too!

Hope you are doing well now. I like your Santa bib!