Sunday, August 16, 2009

Swimming Class

I'm a very relaxed and down-to-earth kinda guy. Literally. That's why I wasn't so happy when Mama took me into the pool last Monday for my first swimming class. It was only a half-hour class, but I think I was crying and whining for about 20 minutes of it. My whining got better the next day but I clung to Mama's neck every time the teacher wanted us to do anything. I was only willing to chase after the ball Mama tossed around the water and climb up the side of the pool and jump in (weird choice, I know). Wednesday, I realized we weren't stopping this swimming thing and so I begrudgingly participated in most of the activities. Mama helped me bob up and down in the water (I drank a couple gulps of lovely pool water but managed not to cry), and I floated on my tummy and back, and splashed with my hands. (When the teacher asked us to kick though, my legs were still stiff and locked.)

Mama was feeling really proud of me and thought that I've started to enjoy swimming. I didn't want her to have the wrong idea, so that night when she was putting me to bed, I patted my chest with both hands and said to her, "Mama, pah pah."
"Scared of what?" she asked.
"Shui shui (the water)," I said.
I think I surprised her when I was able to tell her that, but hey, that's the truth! I made her laugh and then she kissed me and said, "It's okay, I know you're scared at the beginning. But the more you do it, the more you'll like it! We'll try again tomorrow." What kind of thinking is that?!

Well we did try again. Thursday was more of the same thing. In AND out of the pool. Anytime anyone asked me about swimming, I'd tell them I was scared of the water. Except I also started laying on the ground showing people how I kick my legs in the water (if I actually kicked in the water). I got a break Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, but Mama told me that we're going swimming again tomorrow and Baba's going to be able to come with us this time. Maybe we'll get some videos...stay tuned...

1 comment:

Jenie said...

Aww, Tyler is so brave to keep trying even though he's scared! Good job Tyler!