Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Proud Mama

No photos or videos for this post, just a mother's immense awe and pride.

As I was driving Tyler to childcare this morning, we were doing our usual, "Look at that truck Tyler." or "Where are the birds?" conversation. He started pointing to the cars in front of us (or so I thought) and said "che che" (car). I said, "Yes, cars." Then he started saying "maa maa" and I wasn't sure what he was referring to. In Chinese, many many words have the same sound, just different tones and coming from a 15-month old's mouth, even more words sound the same the way they say it, so I didn't have a clue whether he was saying horse, monkey, socks, Auntie Stephanie, or....??? I guessed everything I could think of and none of them were correct because he kept repeating it, wanting me to understand him. I think he realized that I couldn't figure it out, so instead of beating a dead horse, he added "jo jo" (dirty) "maa maa"....and then DING! went the lightbulb in my head. OMG...He wanted to tell me to "maa maa" (wipe) the "jo jo" (dirty) "che che" (car)!! I couldn't believe it! We had just gotten back from our LA trip, so yes, our car WAS dirty and due for a good wash. When I asked him if that's what he was telling me, he nodded and smiled and finally stopped repeating the words. How in the world are babies so incredibly smart?! He actually gave me a context and helped me figure it all out. Babies are truly amazing creatures!

4 comments:

izzy said...

babies are such miracles. that's amazing! thanks for your comment and i'll be following your blog too :)

Amy said...

I haven't checked your blog for a while, now so many posts. Awesome! Keep them coming.

Jenie said...

Wow! That is so awesome! Go Tyler!

Brandon's Baby Steps said...

I know how you feel Lilia. Last night Brandon was fussy because he is still jetlagged, crying at 2am nonstop. Peter got frustrated with him and gave him time out in the middle of the night at the other room next to us. He was crying alone for 30 min and calling Mommy of course. I had to get up and pick him, then he said " daddy is mad" in chinese, can u believe it? I felt guilty leaving him there alone after he said that, he does understand and know what we are thinking.