Sunday, October 12, 2008

We're back!

After being back at work full-time, tonight's the first time in a long time that I'm awake enough to choose blogging over sleeping. The start of every school year is always tiring, but I seriously underestimated how exhausting it is taking care of a baby and not having breaks during my workday (now that my student-free times are spent pumping). And that's already with a TON of help from Kerwin and my parents...I'm very lucky!

Many family and friends ask about our typical day. Here's how we spent the last month and a half of weekdays...I wake up at around 5-ish to nurse Tyler (he's still kinda half-asleep...one of my favorite times of the day with him!), have breakfast, make sure all his stuff is packed for daycare and get myself ready to go to work (low maintenance haircuts rock!). I might have to nurse him again before I go depending on the previous feeding, but he usually gets up right around 7:15am with Kerwin, right when I'm about to head out the door. Of course, I usually end up leaving later than planned because saying goodbye to him always takes so much longer than normal goodbyes. Kerwin gets him ready for daycare which doesn't open until 8:30am.


Though I love being mama, wife, and teacher, I actually enjoy my drive to work since it's one of the few moments in my day when I can relax. 20 minutes of calm later, my car hits park at around 7:45am, and then my non-stop workday starts... teach-- pump-- teach-- pump and eat-- teach-- pump-- meetings-- prep for the next day-- and it's already time to go pick up Tyler.


Wendy fills me on his day, how he ate, how he napped, whether he poopied (I can usually tell because there'll be an extra bag of dirty clothes hanging out next to his daycare bag hahaha). Then we're off to my parents' place where I get some mommy-and-son time alone with him before everyone else comes home: play, nurse, and recently, also feed him his BELOVED solids. Another thing I am SO grateful for...we don't have to cook because we have dinner at my parents'. Gung Gung and Por Por also get some grandson time...works out for everyone! (better for us if you ask me hahaha!)

We head home around 8pm, get Tyler ready for bath/nurse/bed time and after putting him to sleep, we'll get milk bottles cleaned and filled, extra clothes, bibs, binkies, pump parts, etc. ready for the next day. That is, on the nights that I don't crash. There are nights when after I nurse him, I can barely keep my eyes open and I'll roll right into bed. I'm so glad to have Ker as my partner in crime on this...we somehow have been able to not crash on the same night so there has yet been a day when Tyler's gone to childcare without his milk or clothes hahaha.


Repeat repeat repeat...and that brings us to the current moment.
On the weekends, we try to meet up with friends and family, so weekends are never long enough...the yard's a disgrace, the house is messy, but oh well, we'll figure it out in time. It's all worth it when we see our little guy's bright eyes, squeeze his chunky thighs, and hear his silly giggles when he's deliriously tired but still wants to play. He's happy so we're happy! =)

Here's Tyler doing what he does best...play, eat, and sleep (and yes, it's in that order...he'd rather not eat or sleep if he gets to play!)



Learning how to scoot...



After a week of eating solid foods, he's become quite a pro at opening wide for the spoon.

Rice cereal was good, but oatmeal...mmmmm, NOW we're talking!

Did I tell you I like French food too? Frog legs...yum!

Enjoying a walk with Baba and Mama in my new jogger stroller.

Shopping with Mama and Baba at Target

Being forced to try on a new hat for next week's Montreal trip...not this one mom...it makes me look like a little Siu Lung Bao (Shanghai dumpling).

Helping Mama fold my laundry

Hanging out with Auntie Jeannie and Uncle Jeff

Nice shave Uncle Ryan

Playing with my friend Jayden...wait for me!!

My new friend Isaac came to visit from LA!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Tyler totally cracks me up in the oatmeal video!!! He's so cooperative when it comes to good food.

Beverly Li said...

Nice to meet you Tyler and thanks for sharing the blog with us. Hope we can play again very soon. Let us know when you visit LA.
- Isaac